Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Just another interesting day for mom

Well lately Madison has been complaining of a toothache when she's been eating. I made an appointment and took her in today thinking that we would have a basic cavity and filling, the normal stuff. So, we had an interesting turn of events to say the least. They did x-rays and the Dr. came in to talk to me about what was going on. Well it turns out that what she has is much worse than a cavity. The Dr. said he's never seen it before in his office but has read about it. Basically her 6 year molars came in early and she is having trouble with one of them. The inside of the tooth is deteriorating and beginning to expose the nerve. So when she is eating the food is actually hitting her nerve. Crazy. Well to make it more simple to understand he had to send me to a specialist (endodontist) that minute because every second that goes by, I guess the tooth is dying. This wouldn't be such a problem except for the fact that it is an adult tooth and one of the most important in lining up the other adult teeth as they come in. They can't do a root canal because it is such a young tooth and the root hasn't even fully formed yet. So, we don't even know if its still alive right now. The whole time the doctor is explaining this I am just in a daze, not at all what I expected. Now I'm all frazzled and I have to explain this to my husband. Its totally not fair that mom's have to hear all of the horrifying details and then be expected to remember all of the medical jargon and explain it fully in detail to dad. So. anyway we have to take her in Thursday morning for her first of many procedures. This is just basically where they will go into the tooth and check to see how extensive the nerve damage actually is. Once we figure that out, they will tell us what the next step is. If its alive they will have to do some sort of bridge and fill it with medicine and try to keep the nerve alive until the roots are old enough to do a root canal, which at least takes until she is 8 years old. Or if its dead they have to pull it and put in an implant, or try to let her 12 year molar take over the 6 year's job, which would be a gamble. Man... this year we were inspired to save our tax returns, now I know why.
What is it with my kids and having these freaky medical issues. Holy smokes. I'll post on Thursday to keep you all updated.

1 comment:

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Seriously first Coulson now Madi, what the heck? Yes, keep us posted. I will be anxious to hear.