Thursday, July 24, 2008

Madi tooth update

So today was the day. We took Madison in for her appointment and she was scared from the get-go. She started crying as soon as she climbed up in the chair. Then they gave her nitrous and she was a laughing machine. She was laughing so much it was kinda scary. It reminded me of when Jack Nicholson was the joker in batman. Well after she was all nitroused up she had to get a shot. It was a huge needle and they had to inject that crap for about 30 seconds. All the while I had to pin her down so she didn't smack the Dr. then she was super mad. They had to give another shot as soon as the first one became numb. She wasn't having it. It took about 20 minutes to convince her to let the Dr. stick another needle in her mouth. I finally just had to hold her down so that they could do it. Then they had to put this plastic thing in her mouth that kind of looked like a rain coat. It covered her whole mouth except for the one tooth that they were working on. Then they drilled...and drilled...and drilled again. I was watching this because I was standing there holding her hand and I swear the whole inside of her tooth is gone. It makes me sad to think it will be that way for the rest of her life. If it lives that is. She was freaking out. Spasming and screaming like someone was murdering her. It was awful. Well, I'm glad that's over for now. We go back in 3 months to see if the tooth survived and if not they will do some other procedure to even further traumatize her. We go in next week for cleanings. That should be interesting. On the bright side of things...she has been in a great mood all day and it hasn't seemed to affect her. So we've made it through stage one.

4 comments:

Natalie Francis said...

That is so sad! Poor Madi and poor you. It's always hard for me to watch them give shots to my girls. I can't imagine watching that yesterday.

sladefamilyaz said...

That poor baby. When Sibley was a year old she got an extra tooth. She had two growing in to the same spot, so they had to pull one and it traumatized ME really bad. It didn't even take very long, so I'm sure your huge long ordeal was horrendous. I wish they could have put her out for it.

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Holy crap how did you watch that? I would be having nightmares. Poor Madi! She is going to HATE the dentist now.

Mary said...

Poor Madi!! I just read the 1st post about her tooth...that's so weird!! Really, the whole time I'm thinking, "that sounds expensive"!! I do have to admit that I started to laugh at the nitrous story. I can just imagine her sitting there laughing like the Joker!! : )