Monday, July 14, 2008

Back to racing

Well, I competed in my first adventure race since having the baby. It made me realize how out of shape I am!! It was only about a 10 mile race, but man, the last two days my butt's been killing me. I have about 8 weeks to get in shape for my big race that covers about 30+ miles, I'd better get moving! Judd did this race with me, it was his first time. It was fun racing, but I'm not sure how much fun he had. He got kind of irritated because we were a little mixed up on one of the check points. On the topo map it looked like you could go around this ledge by the river, but it was a sheer drop off, and we had to go back around the mountain, waisting like 40 minutes. That wasn't fun, but I feel like I learn something new every time I race. Other than that we blasted through the rest of the orienteering points. When we finally got to the river portion it was starting to get super hot, so the cold water felt amazing. Judd had a hard time on his inner tube, but I felt great and paddled like a banshee. We even got to see a herd of wild horses drinking from the river. I love racing. Judd was a little too competitive for me, I just like to have fun when I'm going. We finished in about 3 hours and we were both out of commission for the rest of the day, taking naps in shifts. There were only a few minor injuries, I rolled my ankle and Judd had some cactus in his foot, but we were prepared with some tweezers. I'm not sure if he's planning on doing more or not. Our next race is coming up August 9 so he has a little time to think about it.

3 comments:

Mary said...

You ROCK!! Awesome job!! Now...this is what I am secretly thinking...You suck!! Eli's almost 9 months old and I haven't even attempted something like this!! Thanks for all the feelings of inadaquency!! (however you spell it...you get the idea!) : )

Heidi said...

U r awesome!! I will definately train with u.. u will be my motivator!! I luv it that u & Judd did it 2gether. That's so cool!

Tansey Hall said...

Hey Superwoman! You amaze me. I can't believe you are already running again! We jumped on the band wagon and started a blog.