Monday, April 4, 2011

Routine

This is something I will hopefully laugh about in the future...
My kids wake up early. They always have. No matter what time they go to bed you will rarely find a day that they sleep in until 6:30. They have no regard for weekends or how crappy the night before is. They just jump out of bed all happy. I wish I were more like them in that way. It can't last forever though. They will be teenagers and break the barrier from "but I don't wanna go to bed" into sleeping slugs that don't care if they ever see the light of day again.
Here is a typical morning in the Rich household. Coulson gets up and comes into my room around 5:30 and half sleeps with me until Judd's alarm goes off at 6:15. Judd hits snooze button about 3 or 4 times. (By the way, I hate snooze buttons. How on earth is someone going to fall back asleep and wake up 4 minutes later and say, "whew I'm glad I got those extra 4 minutes of sleep." ???) Coulson climbs out of bed, and by this time Maddy and Nolan are already up. Maddy is mom in the morning because I'm more like a zombie until 7. She makes everyone breakfast and she's very good about it. Coulson screams bloody murder the whole time because he wants someone's chair or someone's toy or is just being a really horrible morning person. Judd leaves at 645. I peel myself out of bed about every 3 minutes and do the "you be quiet or I'll...." The baby is still hopefully sleeping through all of the screeching. Did I mention Nolan yet?? He is my saint in the morning! He will come into my room to wake me up at 7. He's already dressed for school has brushed his teeth and is wearing his backpack around the house. We don't have to leave for an hour. I think he's so cute.
I go in and check on the baby. She's awake, but thankfully she is very patient and will hang in her crib and play with her toes until I come and get her. Thank goodness for babies. They are pretty much the only thing that can put a smile on my face right after I wake up. I go to feed her and find Coulson has pooed all over the bathroom. He thinks he did a great job and wants a skittle. Madison is still playing around. She is my procrastinator. About 10 minutes before we are walking out the door she finally gets dressed and brushes her hair. But then she can't find her backpack, or her shoes, or her lunch box or her homework. This drives me crazy. I've resorted to yelling. I really try hard not to. Who wants to be crazy and yelling right before they drop their kids off for a long day at school? But how are you up so stinking early and you still aren't ready right before we have to go?!?! She finally finds her stuff and hopefully her brain and we load the crew up and drive to school. The two older ones get out after lots of "I love you's" even though Madison's is more like a mumbled "bite me" because we've been butting heads for the last 30 minutes. Then they are off and I tell you what..the Angels are singing! Wooohooo. Never judge the way a mom looks in the morning when dropping off her kids. Sure, she may not be wearing a bra or have mascara smeared all over but she has just basically been through war!

5 comments:

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

Aw I love you. I am so so enjoying these last few years I have before the get-ready-for-school-and-out-the-door-before-9 mornings begin.

Mike Ryan said...

Your home and yard sound great! I know exactly how you feel. I have the same problem with getting Hallee off.

Mike Ryan said...

It was Meg. Sorry.

Alisa said...

You are hilarious. I will try to enjoy this time before school enters our life!

The Kleyn Family said...

You just described my EXACT morning...change the names to my four turds and we live the same life ;) Congrats for putting on mascara the day before the smear happens though. As always, I LOVE your posts!