Tuesday, September 1, 2009

little voices

As I am sitting here right now I just have to write this so I don't ever forget. Every morning my kids play together. They sit at the kitchen table and bring out their toys. They don't bother me for about an hour and a half. they don' t fight. They just sit there and sweetly play. Of course Madison is "in charge" of what the playing consists of. This morning Nolan is playing with a toy puppy and Madison is doing her typical narrating. She is trying to teach the puppy some manners. Just sitting here hearing their voices makes me so happy. It also makes me wonder how much longer I am going to hear these creative imaginations. I've tried to sit and play with them when they are doing this but I just can't seem to imagine the types of things they can. I remember I used to be able to do that. I remember certain toys and shows and how I used to be able to play for hours building things. What happens that makes us forget? I feel like Robin Williams when he was Peter Pan. I don't want to take stuff so seriously all the time. They are getting older so fast but yet they are so small. They are still shielded from the world. They have an innocence that makes me almost scared for them. I am scared to send them out into the world. This world that makes you lose sight of how great life is. This world that takes away your imagination and replaces it with greediness. I know one day instead of this sweet playing, there will be silence. They will grow up. They will face challenges that I've never even dreamed of facing. These sweet children that want nothing more than to laugh will have so many trials and hardships in their lives. I'm scared for my babies. This is why I need to be strong right now. I need to be my best so they can learn before its too late. This is why all the "basics" are most important. Family prayer, family scripture study, family home evening every week. This is what will prepare my sweet kids to go into this world. I am doing what I need to for them. That gives me comfort, so for now, I'm just going to sit back and listen to these little voices before they start fighting.

3 comments:

Katie said...

That has got to be one of the scariest things about being a parent. How do you prepare them? It's all about the "staples".

Mary said...

I think about this same thing almost EVERY DAY!! The only thing that calms my fears is knowing that we do those things!! Great post...love you!

Diana Gomez-Anderson said...

You just brought tears to my eyes, with this post. It is so true, I think about the same things and it scares me too. I completely agree about the basic, out of small things come great things its one of my favorite teachings of the scriptures. That is what life is all about, small moments, small efforts which bring about great things. Thanks for writing that.