Sunday, June 19, 2011

Adventures in Summertime


I remember as a kid looking forward to summer vacation. I remember it being fun. I could do anything, go anywhere, sleep as long as I wanted. I lived in a bathing suit and flip flops and always had a great tan. I remember going to the lake or the river, spending nights running around with my friends. Summer was awesome. Which is why I am in such a predicament... What the heck happened!?! Oh right, I have a gaggle of goobers at home who make it almost impossible to do anything. Now as a mom, I hate summer. It's horrible. All of you mom's who love it, love it for one of two reasons. Either you have kids who are a fun age to haul around and able to participate in fun activities, or you are friggin' nuts. There is no in-between here people. I was trying to think of the pro's of summer. #1 I don't have to have everyone ready to go to school by 7:30 a.m. #2. ...I'm still working on that one. My list of cons is pretty outrageous, but here's a few, just to humor you....#1 kids still wake up at 6 a.m. no matter what time you put them to bed, the word "vacation" does not register to these people. #2 we all can't stand each other because there are 5 of us stuck together for 14 hours a day. anyone who doesn't have sympathy for this is not my friend anymore. #3 its too stinking hot to go anywhere unless you want to spend a load of money to do something indoors. #4 Have you ever tried to take 4 kids swimming? Swimming is no longer a fun thing to do. #5 I have a child at my house named Coulson. Now take a second to understand this child. Close your eyes and picture the movie "chucky" yes, that horror movie with the doll. Now, this may seem harsh, but I have a blond Chucky living under my roof. A crazy little kid with something scary in his eyes. Never get too close to this child. He may look cute, but he will spit in your face or stab you with a pencil. How does this happen, by the way? How do I raise two absolutely normal, obedient children just to end up with a psycho child? Am I being punished for some unknown deed? We like to say that he has turrets. (no offense to anyone who actually has it) but he will be totally normal one second and its almost like he catches himself "wait a second, I'm actually being calm. this can't be right" and then he will be off to find someone to torment. This child could by the cause of my de-railment. Does anyone else have (or had) one of these kids? Do they end up functioning normal in society? Is there any hope for me?

Anyway, it wouldn't be summer without the garden going crazy. It was doing awesome until my dog got lazy and let the rabbits get to it. Now most of my tomatoes are half eaten.
One of the HUGE watermelons!

Sorry, this one's sideways and I don't know how to flip it.

Oh and we got a goat. I might just recommend a goat to anyone. All it does it eat all the weeds and our table scraps. And even though he has some gas issues, he's really not that messy. The kids love him. Coulson tries to put him in a headlock and I once found him chasing the goat with a mop. Poor Goat

We have been keeping our thumb on this scorpion issue for the most part. So far Judd has killed 87 scorpions but they've all been outside in the wash. (with the exception of King Kong scorpion that I had to stab on the back porch)

So there you have it, life keeps on ticking, even if its at a much slower pace in the summer months. And I know someday I will miss these times (i still can't consieve how that might be possible) Don't get me wrong. I have a great life and I love my kids and my sexy husband. wink wink ( I know he will be reading this later) but geeez, Blogging is a good source of venting!

3 comments:

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

I'm dying! I'm sure I will hate summer too. If my kids woke up that early I think I'd go crazy. 87 scorpions. That's a freaking lot. Will call you today.

Heidi said...

haha.. you rock! I only have one right now so it's fun hanging out but I don't know how you do it with 4.. i wouldn't want to go anywhere either!!

Natalie Francis said...

Okay... summer is the worst! And a Phoenix summer is hell - really. If anyone has visited hell, I'm sure they would describe a Phoenix summer. Lets all move to Alaska.