Myla Kerrington Rich born Sept. 7th at 12:16 a.m. 8lbs 4 oz.
Here's the dirty details, since everyone's dying to know...actually, its more for my own references, because I promised myself after this birthing experience that I didn't want anymore kids. And we all know how mommy brains tend to forget these things.
I was supposed to be induced at 5 a.m. on Labor Day morning. Well, that didn't happen. It must have been the whole "Labor" day thing, but like everyone and their sister were having babies that day. I didn't actually get to the hospital until about 1 p.m. We got there, got all set up, everything was moving at a snails pace. Then in came the epidural lady at about 6:30. She gave me the epidural and I my blood pressure dropped so low that I started to lose consciousness. I thought I was going to die. The nurse then gave me ephedrine, which I guess is like one of the ingredients in Meth. Freaky. But I did feel better and was able to have a nap. Woke up from nap feeling contractions. I assumed that the epidural was only taking on one side, so I turned to my other side hoping the medicine would work its way over and even out. Turned to other side and didn't feel a difference. So I hit the more medicine button and nothing happened. I turned on my back and noticed that I was only numb from about my mid thigh to my calf on my left leg. So now I'm really feeling contractions. I'm ticked off. I've never researched having a baby naturally so I was trying to think of breathing techniques or something. Then everything happened really fast. At least now it seems fast, but I'm sure it didn't. I knew the baby was coming but the Dr. wasn't there. I had to try and hold her in for about 30 minutes before the dr got there. stupid nurse. I told her that I would go fast and she didn't believe me. So for that horrible 30 minutes I'm fighting my body. The baby wanted out and my body was pushing and I was trying my hardest to breath through the pain and over come the urge to get her out. All the while husband asking me "what's wrong?"....really husband!! What the heck do you think. He denies asking that now, but I know he was saying it. I can see how women start name calling now. Then the Dr. got there. And was all ready to go, but I wasn't. I was freaked out. I didn't know first hand what it would be like to have a baby naturally, but I'd heard stories. I didn't want to push because I knew the worst was yet to come, but I had to stick it out. There was nothing to be done for me at that point but go through with it. So luckily the pushing part only took about a minute or two, but let me tell you, that was the worst two minutes of my life. a few obscenities shouted that I'm not going to post but...Holy painful misery. I'd had so much medicine and needles poking in me that I ended up getting super sick afterward. It was crappy. But... would I call it a bad experience? Definitely no. There was something pretty powerful about the whole thing. I could almost feel everything the baby was going through. I'd never realized how strenuous it must be on a baby to come into the world, but I realized it then. Its almost like we suffered together. I think the bond was a little stronger because of it. I could tell what she was going through and I felt so bad for her the whole time. I'm glad it happened like it did, and if I were to have any more, I would probably do it that way again. But....I think I'm done. ;)

5 comments:
Congratulations! I've been checking since we moved to see if you'd posted pictures and I was so excited to see that you had! Sounds like a rather stressful birth though...I'm glad it all turned out well in the end. :-)
Oh, and I love her name. So cute!
Isn't it funny how even though it hurts so friggin bad, you want to do it that way again? You're right, the bond seems greater. So glad she's here. She's such a cutie. I'm back from NY so will call you tomorrow!
So glad you both are healthy. Love the story and I thought you wanted 6 kids?
ouch. ouch. ouch. You are amazing!!!! Super happy everything went well!
congratulations! she's just precious. sorry you suffered.
Post a Comment